- This event has passed.
Art+Feminism 2020 – Open Call for Artist Proposals
8 August 2019 - 20 October 2019
Image credit: LOVE from the series 12 Thoughts on the Path to Integration by Anna Grima (Fondazzjoni Kreattività art collection)
CALL FOR PROPOSALS CLOSED
Spazju Kreattiv invite proposals for the 2020 ART+FEMINISM project taking place between the Friday 14 February and Sunday 5 April 2020.
This call stems from the ongoing collaboration between Fondazzjoni Kreattività and the ART+FEMINISM wikipedia edit-a-thon, a world-wide campaign improving inclusion of cis and transgender women, non-binary folks, feminism and the arts on Wikipedia. ART+FEMINISM has been part of the Spazju Kreattiv programme since February 2018 with the first edition yielding a significant output including articles about artists’ Jean Zaleski and Isabelle Borg, both works forming part of the Fondazzjoni Kreattività collection. Greater awareness of Maria de Dominici, the earliest recorded woman artist in Malta, was also raised through ART+FEMINISM starting in 2018.
In 2019, Wikimedia Community Malta made ART+FEMINISM an integral part of its annual Wiki Loves Art activities. The second edition of the edit-a-thon planned to produce more notable output on Wikipedia, with a particular focus on other women artists in the Fondazzjoni Kreattività collection and early women photographers in Malta. The 2019 edition was also enhanced by contributions from Dr Tracy Prince, a Fulbright Scholar supported by the US Embassy in Malta.
The ART+FEMINISM 2020 project continues to target the issue of the gender gap on Wikipedia providing opportunities to engage with the history, feminism and the arts through exhibitions, edit-a-thons, discussions, and meetups. A number of works will be chosen through this call to be presented as part of the ART+FEMINISM 2020 exhibition for the Spazju Kreattiv programme.
Proposal requirements and how to apply
- Concept proposal not longer than two pages, in PDF format;
- Concept sketches;
- 3-5 images of the proposed work;
- Technical rider;
- Action Plan / Timeline (adhering to this call’s timeline);
- Artist/s’ CV;
- Artist/s’ portfolio;
- Budget forecast;
- Any other additional information relevant to your proposal.
All works proposed through this call will be assessed on a score sheet against these criteria:
- The level of engagement with aspects of feminist art;
- Priority will be given to cis or transgender women artists;
- Resonance with any element of the Spazju Kreattiv strategic vision, found here;
- Spazju Kreattiv’s practical ability to present the proposed work appropriately in the given time and allocated resources.
Accepted proposals will benefit from
- Artist fee;
- Programme Coordinator’s assistance;
- Technical assistance for set-up and dismantling;
- Use of in-house technical equipment (list to be provided upon request);
- Promotion through our media.
Timeline and Deadlines
- Sunday 20th October 2019 at noon – Deadline for interested artists to submit their proposals to participate in the ART+FEMINISM 2020 exhibition;
- Monday 4th November 2019 – deadline for selection panel shortlisting of potential artists;
- Friday 22nd November 2019 – Spazju Kreattiv curatorial team complete final selection of artists and art works;
- Friday 29th November 2019 – Decisions on all proposals communicated to all applicants.